Can’t find a homeschool planner that works for you? You, my friend are not alone. Homeschooling isn’t one-size-fits-all. Make a simple and attractive DIY homeschool planner on the happy planner framework. Customize a cute and functional homeschool planner to fit your homeschool life perfectly.
I have learned around here successful homeschool day doesn’t happen without a little planning. Believe me, I have tried!
My personality is a bit more of a “go with the flow”, or ” just wing it” type.
Over the years of homeschooling, I have learned that doesn’t work for homeschooling, and me keeping my sanity.
So then I took the logical next step went and got one of those generic day planners. To which I quickly learned they are not well suited for homeschool planning.
Ok so take the dive into buying expensive homeschool planner that cost $30-$50. Every. Single. Year.
I didn’t rake long before I got tired of buying those. The 15 minute time increments, the prefilled out subjects, the cost, I was over that.
That was when I dove into creating my own and The Relaxed Homeschool Planner was born. It fit the more relaxed way we homeschool, less time scheduling, more space for creativity, less classical schooling structure.
Basically more us being us, and less us trying to be, well, other homeschool families.
I loved being able to be more creative and just do own thing, my own planning. But I didn’t like using a bulky 3 ring binder, and I learned if I have it spiral bound I could no longer add in extra pages, for say when my readaholic reads more books in a semester than the reading log had space for.
That’s when I learned about the happy planning system. The ingenious planning system that lets you customize things.
Benefits of a DIY Homeschool Planner
- If you find you don’t fit into a “typical” homeschooling mold a DIY planner might be ba better fit to your particular situation.
- Better allows for flexible schooling, unschooling, wild schooling, and road schooling
- Better fits your style. Dont want a planner with flowers? Done. DIY your homeschool planner to reflect your style.
- Save money on buying new planners dated for every year. DIY an undated planner, reuse that every year.
- Allows for more creativity.
- A DIY planner allows you to create a size of your choice.
- A DIY planner gives you the ability to add pages where and when you want without the bulk of a 3-ring binder.
How to make your Homeschool Planner
Happy Planner Style
To make your own happy planner you need a few items. I found these items to be something I could make more planners for other things like our budget planner and my morning journal and save money in other places so win-win there.
Items you will need
- cardstock: I like using cardstock to print my planner pages on, but you can also just print yours on regular paper. Neenah Cardstock, 8.5″ x 11″, Heavy-Weight, White, 94 Brightness, 300 Sheets (91437)
- planner pages. Again I used The Relaxed Homeschool Planner for my planner pages, but you can also find many printable homeschool planners on Etsy or even get creative and make your own.
- Happy planner hole punch Me & My Big Ideas MAMPUNB.1 PLN The Happy Planner
- Happy Planner discs or rings. Create 365 RINDR-02 Happy Planner Medium Metal Expander Discs 11/Pkg Silver,
- laminator AmazonBasics Thermal Laminator Machine
- thick laminating sheets: For creating a thicker more stable planner cover Scotch Thermal Laminating Pouches, 8.9 x 11.4-Inches, 5 mil thick, 100-Pack (TP5854-100),Clear
DIY Planner Instructions
Make sure you have your homeschool planner pages printed onto your cardstock or paper in that way you want them.
Laminate both the front and back covers then hole punch them. Make sure you have the paper in the hole punch correctly so your holes are not slightly off. After this, you can start inserting the discs into your cover page. They will just snap right in.
Next, begin to hole punch your pages and add them into the planner as you want them to look while you are using it.
Voila. Just like that, you have yourself an easily customizable planner, without all the bulk of a 3-ring binder. There are many accessories you can add like pocket folders, dividers, pen holders and more that all fit with this binding. For more accessories check out the brands TUL, Talia and The Happy Planner for more add-ins to your DIY Homeschool Planner.
So typical homeschool planners don’t work for you, but you still want a sleek and customizable planner to keep you homeschool life smooth. No biggie making a DIY homeschool planner couldn’t be easier! With any printable or homemade pages and The Happy Planner binding, you can easily make the planner that will fit your homeschool life like a glove, without restrictions of a spiral binding or the bulk of a 3-ring binder. Homeschool on my friends, homeschool on ♡♡♡
Comment, Share and Enjoy
From our family to yours, thanks for stopping by
P.S. Looking for more Homeschool DIYs and inspiration? Subscribe to The Upcycled Family community for more ideas, inspiration, DIY’s and all around homeschooling goodness!
Beth is a mother of 6 living on a handful of acres in an old farmhouse in central Kansas. Beth has a background in the military and health and fitness however her passions come from her homestead life. Beth is an enthusiastic homeschooling mom, avid organic gardener, chicken & goat wrangler, who is obsessed with herbs and natural remedies and maintaining an all-around Do-It-Yourself lifestyle. Beth loves to share all she has learned about and sustainable living. While striving for a healthy, natural life, family-centered life.