Being a parent is hard, ok who are we kidding its really, really hard. Then there is being a homeschool mom… Being a homeschool mom is next level stuff there. Taking care of yourself is a priority, or it should be! With these 25 ways to easy self-care for homeschool moms, you will no longer put taking care of you on the back burner.
Sometimes in mom life, especially homeschool mom life, we find ourselves being lost and neglected in day-to-day life. When you rarely get a trip to the bathroom alone, finding ways to great self-care that involve a trip to a spa seems way out of reach!
The thing is that finding good positive self-care for homeschool moms doesn’t have to be a lone ranger kind of activity. With a few positive hygge life practices, you can be focusing on self-care, while enjoying the moment, reducing stress, showing your kids a positive example while still balancing all that homeschool life can be.
Self Care Ideas for the Homeschool mom
- Start a Morning Ritual: This may sound boring but a morning ritual is a wonderful habit to cultivate and a time to get yourself going in the right direction before the kids, breakfast, and homeschool happen.
- Start a gratitude practice: Science has proven that gratitude can have a huge impact on our health and quality of life!
- Journaling: Journaling has many wonderful benefits including stress relief, increasing mental clarity, and self-discovery.
- Meditation: a meditative brain is a calm, relaxed, and productive brain.
- Take relaxing baths: At the risk of sounding cliche, baths can be a wonderfully relaxing technique. At the end of the school week when dinner is done on Friday night, the kids and The Upcycled Family husband sit to watch a show and I head to a bath with my health nut version of wine in hand, and I get chill time.
- Teatime and poetry: When homeschooling seems overwhelming stop for a little tea time and poetry (if you have littles make this happen during nap time!)
- Eat healthily: This may sound difficult but requiring so much from ourselves means we also need to GIVE so much to ourselves.
- Take nature walks: just because you are doing self-care doesn’t mean you can’t make it a school activity too.
- defuse soothing essential oils: MAny scents can calm and relax nerves (lavender, ylang-ylang, and cedarwood, are just a few great places to start).
- Play classical music: it has been known to aid the learning process as well as calm nerves and tension.
- Stop for a deep breathing exercise.
- Sit in the sun: When moods are bad a little sunshine can do wonders!
- Pick some flowers.
- Paint, draw, or sketch a picture.
- Color with your kids.
- Go for bike rides.
- Have a mini dance party at home!
- Go for a run.
- Start a school day yoga practice.
- Have a candlelit meal at home: even if it is macaroni and cheese over lunchtime, a candlelit meal will lighten everyone’s mood.
- Practice finger knitting.
- Spend the day with cozy blankets and a read-a-thon.
- Snuggle up and watch homeschool-friendly documentaries.
- Make sleep a priority.
- Sleep stories: Sleep stories or bedtime guided meditations are a great way for you and your kids to drift off to get that much needed restful sleep.
Self-care for homeschool moms
We hear how important self-care is. We know it supports mental health as well as our happiness, relationships, and overall wellness. However, as a busy homeschool mom, we all often lack time to put self-care as a top priority. Soon and taking care of ourselves falls from the to-do list to the “maybe one day that would be nice” list. Well, I say no more! I challenge you to join me in making YOU a priority too. Self-care for homeschool moms is just as important as taking care of those littles and helping with math lessons. 25 easy and engaging ways to create hygge lifestyle habits while allowing for self-care and still being an awesome homeschool mom ♡♡♡
Comment Share and Enjoy
From our family to yours, thanks for stopping by
P.S. Looking for more homeschool life encouragement? Subscribe and join The Upcycled Family community for regular doses of homeschool family life, encouragement, ideas, DIY’s and more!
Beth is a mother of 5 living on a handful of acres in an old farmhouse in central Kansas. Beth has a background in the military and health and fitness however her passions come from her homestead life. Beth is an enthusiastic homeschooling mom, avid organic gardener, chicken & goat wrangler, who is obsessed with herbs and natural remedies and maintaining an all-around Do-It-Yourself lifestyle. Beth loves to share all she has learned about and sustainable living. While striving for a healthy, natural life, family-centered life.